Sunday, January 24, 2016

Promoting a Spirit-Inviting Classroom Atmosphere

By Ron Van Der Pol
(Excerpt from Integration of Faith and Learning in Christian School Art Education, Master’s thesis by Ron Van Der Pol, 2006)

Like so many educators, I have goals for my students and the program and curriculum that I work to build.  But like so many educators, challenges and frustrations may stand in the way of attaining those goals.  Staying true to the biblical philosophy of my art program can sometimes be difficult for both me, and my students. 
  
As the leader of my classroom, I need to be aware of how the classroom atmosphere is affecting the work of the students.  For example, there are times in the art classroom when a sense of pride can develop.  It is not all bad for an artist to take pride in their work, as long as that pride is more of an excitement for praising God through their talents and glorifying him through their work.  A more dangerous form of pride can creep into the classroom atmosphere when the focus is on the individual artist and when the center of attention is placed on the individual's abilities and talents.   Along with selfish pride, frustration can be a major hindrance to an appropriate classroom atmosphere.  It is so easy to get "full of ourselves" as Christian artists.  I can speak personally to the problem of allowing a string of successes in the art classroom (either through my teaching or the results of my students work) blur my focus away from who gave us the abilities to succeed in the first place.  There are times throughout the school year when pride or even competition can show themselves and allow weaknesses to be exposed.  In times like these, I try to bring things back into the proper perspective.  Jesus stated, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" 2 Cor. 2:9 (New International Version).  Art instructors and students need to recognize themselves as sinful and in need of God's grace.  We need to respond by laying our weaknesses before him.  Bringing our weaknesses, errors, and lack of humility to God through prayer is an essential part of training Christian artists.  "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express" Rom. 8:26 (New International Version). The more teachers and students are united in prayer and in the Spirit and work through a process under a biblical philosophy, the more students will understand what a biblical worldview in art is.  They will also be able to see how powerful a tool art can be in not only the classroom, but in God’s kingdom as well.

Young Christian artists can many times feel fragile in terms of how others perceive them or their work.  Because of this, these students may feel inadequate or could become frustrated in the art classroom.  I have encountered many of these types of atmosphere downers over the years and have worked to try to establish methods to combat this. 

One of the most practical ways that I have found and used to help establish an uplifting and God-glorifying classroom atmosphere is the use of a word equation that helps remind us all of what makes our classroom an inviting place for the Holy Spirit.  Robert Chewning (2001) suggests the following "cooperation equation" when working toward ways for appropriate response by Christians to God and his Spirit:  “God’s work + human response = ‘to God be the Glory’ progress and victory” (Chewning, 2001, p. 4).  It is so important for the Christian art instructor and Christian artists to keep each other accountable toward the goal of responding to God appropriately through our work by remembering that everything is to be to God's glory.  In times of frustration I am not afraid as an instructor to stop class, even in the middle of production, and ask the students to put their work aside and join me in discussing as a group what is causing frustration at that particular point.  After identifying the frustration and how it is challenging our goal of an appropriate classroom atmosphere, I then ask for the students to join me in a time of prayer.  I encourage students to offer prayers of admission and forgiveness as well as prayers, which include goals for improvement.
 
If I as the leader of my classroom allow the atmosphere to become one that is not in line with what God requires, I am not holding my students accountable.  Likewise, if my students notice that I am not working towards, or willing to promote a classroom atmosphere that is conducive to effective and God-glorifying work, then I ask and EXPECT my students to hold me accountable because ultimately God will.  "Not many of you therefore should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly" Js. 3:1 (New International Version).  The following is a list of suggestions for promoting a classroom atmosphere that invites the presence of God and his Holy Spirit.

The Christian art teacher:
1. recognizes every young Christian artist as an image-bearer of their Creator.
2. establishes the truth of God's Word as the standard for what we do in the classroom.
3. promotes humility of self and the class as a whole.
4. invites young Christian artists to be available to the Spirit's leading.
5. fosters a sense of camaraderie as we all are working together toward common goals.
6. demands accountability between the instructor, students, and God.
7. identifies challenges and frustrations which can pose a threat to conducive learning.
8. utilizes prayer as a means of inviting the Holy Spirit as well as combating threats to that invitation.

Prayer is a vital component to the process of teaching art.  I must continually keep my students in my personal prayers throughout the school year.  In turn, there are times when I will lay a burden before the students and ask them to pray for me, especially if that burden pertains to an anxiety in the classroom.  The more we are united in prayer and in the Spirit, and work through a process under a biblical philosophy, the more students will understand what a biblical worldview in art is. They will also be able to see how powerful a tool art can be in not only the classroom, but in God’s kingdom as well.

These are a few examples of how I as a Christian art instructor can bring my philosophy into classroom practice.  Integrating my philosophy can be more obvious in some projects and very subtle in others.  My duty is to relate and make real to the students what we are doing in the classroom on a daily basis. 

To God be the Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment